N&W in 1911--Derailed

Wed May 25 08:07:57 EDT 2011

Gordon, thank you for your many news items, and for this one as well.  Al Hock was my great-grandfather.  He died before I was born.  But I have a faint memory of my great-grandmother.  I had the 2 magazines which contained the stories he wrote.  I actually looked around on eBay and found more copies - in better condition - and acquired those.  Thanks again!

Kim Hensley

Huntsville

Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:00:41 PM
Subject: N&W in 1911--Derailed

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 29, 1911

THE GRAHAM DAILY NEWS
------
Engine Derailed

    The Bluefield wreck cars were called to Flat Top yard yesterday afternoon to retrack one of the Norfolk and Western's big Mallet engines, No. 998, and Engine Driver Al Hock, the same engine and driver that turned turtle just west of the Graham tower last March*, in which case three wrecking outfits were required and nearly three days passed before the big engine was finally retracked.  In yesterday's accident, only five pairs of drivers were off but Engineer Hock was the "Casey Jones" again.
* Occurred Oct. 17, 1910, according to an Oct. 18, 1910, BDT article.
------