N&W in 1911--Slide

Tue Aug 2 11:21:38 EDT 2011

Engineman Gerald on No. 16 was "Jube" (Jubal) Gerald. Some of my grandfather's Conductors Books from the mid-1920s indicate that he pulling my grandfather in freight service on the Bristol Line at that time, so he may have caught No. 16 off the extra list at the time of the 1911 wreck.

"Jube" must have been a character. The older men (1926-hires and earlier) still spoke of him, even in the 1960s. As I seem to recall, the N&W Magazine had a photo and small write up on him at the time of his retirement, sometime around 1930. In the photo, his smiling face is decorated by a big wallrus mustache and crowned by a derby.

-- abram burnett