More - NS Hagerstown - NIMBY

Fri Aug 5 12:54:52 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Ed wrote:

> This discussion about an intermodal terminal is but a small example of what

> has destroyed American Industry:****

> · Lawyers with clients willing to sue over anything and

> everything they think they can make a greedy dollar from

> · Special interest groups (save the fish, save the caribou, save

> the birds) putting up obstacles at every attempt to redevelop industry in

> America or maintain what we have left

This is what is holding up the Roanoke terminal, which is/was to be located
just across the Roanoke County line into Montgomery County near Elliston.
Old-timers may recall there was an advance eastbound signal for Singer
behind the burned-out Wilson's Restaurant there, at a location called "Tie
Yard Hill" or in N&W-eese "Tieard Hill"). A handfull of residents made some
of the same claims as those in Hagerstown, that the intermodal terminal
would bring noise, pollution, and traffic to their idyllic part of the
valley. They convinced their representative on the board of supervisors to
fight Norfolk Southern; the way our board works is that if one supervisor is
for or against something everyone else pretty much goes along (or doesn't
make waves). The board's plan was to fight NS and the Commonwealth of
Virginia on the state's putting up money toward the project for road
improvements and other work. The basis of the lawsuit was that it was not
legal for the state to spend money on a private corporation. The suit (paid
for with county taxpayer dollars, even though not all taxpayers agree with
the action), has bounced from local court the the State Supreme Court, where
it is on the fall docket. NS has purchased some of the necessary property
for the terminal, but has put the whole project on hold until the suit is
settled. It is case number 100350, MONTGOMERY COUNTY, ET AL. vs. VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF RAIL, ETC.

Bruce in Blacksburg