Thu Sep 22 08:13:44 EDT 2011

Last night, the last Wednesday of Summer this year, I had the pleasure
of "Takin' Twenty" with nine of the Brethren and Friends of the
Virginian Railway. We talked about tonight's "Road Trip" to the
Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba, VA. The Brethren plan to bring their
wives, and eat a lot of Southern fried chicken, country ham, roast beef,
biscuits, and cobbler.

We also discussed Saturday's "Virginian Railway Day" (10:30 AM to 3
PM)at the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke. We went over
their scheduled appearances in the "Virginian-Roanoke's Other Railway"
Room at VMT: 10:30 Raymond East and Wis Sowder; 11:00 Wis Sowder and
Greely Wyatt; 11:30 Greely Wyatt and Russell McDaniel; 12 noon Russell
McDaniel and Gordon Glenn; 12:30 Gordon Glenn and Frank Breedlove; 1:00
Frank Breedlove and Dewey Houch; 1:30 Dewey Houch and Ken McLain; 2:00
Ken McLain and Felix Price; 2:30 Felix Price and Landon Gregory. Don't
miss this golden opportunity to have these Brethren answer questions you
have about their VGN RWY experiences. The Brethren will also be at other
VGN artifacts during the day: EL-C #135, 0-8-0 SA #4, and the Ellett
Station where Landon Gregory and Harry Bundy will be "sending code" like
they did on the VGN and original Norfolk Southern. I am bringing about a
dozen of my VGN photo books for display also. Aubrey Wiley will have his
motor car to see. Come join us if you can. Note: All former Virginian
employees are to be given free pass to this event.

Dewey Houch "took twenty" with us last night and told about his many
projects in the Mullens area. We are planning to attend the dedication
of the Ellett type station he is building in Mullens and fellowship with
members of the Virginian Nation attending the October get-to-gether.
Dewey told the Brethren that as a surveyor for the VGN, part of his job
was to "take the coal pile's temperature" at the Narrow's Power plant to
see if it was overheating.

The Jewel from the Past is from June 9, 2005: "Gordon 'Rubber Jaw'
Glenn, former VGN engineer, and 'Cornbread' Victory had a marathon
telling old 'war stories' about yard operations. One included Victory
removing the nails from a wooden keg and using the keg to insulate a
caboose from signals at 'JK'. 'Ruf' Wingfield told of Trainmaster Wilson
Moser. Seems shortly after the merger, a yard crew doubled a coal train
out of the wrong yard track and added many extra coal hoppers to the
train. The train left town with 260 loaded coal hoppers without
'ceremony or permission'. The normal train was 220. The incident was
kept quiet, and the bills were mailed forward. Later when Moser was
asked by N&W officials, if he thought a 250 car coal train east was
possible, he responded 'Already done that one!'".

Last night I displayed a new banner "Takin' Twenty with the Virginian
Brethren" with an EL-2b, VGN Station in Roanoke, AG, VGN herold and
"Former Employees of the Virginian Railway" on it. I had it made to
display at VMT Saturday where the Brethren will be answering questions.
This may become a fixture at "Country Cookin' after their current
remodeling is finished, as promised by the manager....

Then there's this: A Virginian brakeman and his wife were traveling from
West Virginia toward Victoria, on US 460, when his wife says "Look honey
we're in "LAA-FAA-yette", VA. The husband says NO, its pronounced
"La-fette" on the VGN. After a heated debate, he decides to settle the
argument and pulls into a nearby business to ask a local how to
pronounce it, correctly. He asks the fellow to 'please tell my wife
where we are, and say it very slowly". The fellow answers "Wen...dies"!

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

CCCLXXXVI