Need Help ID'ing N&W Artifacts

Wed Dec 21 07:23:08 EST 2011

Appreciate the feedback, Gary.

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:06 PM
Subject: RE: Need Help ID'ing N&W Artifacts

These would all appear to be 'shop made' or at least shop-marked with hand stamp lettering. As Abram mentioned the large tub is a dope bucket. The N&W did use a larger version without a cover and a smaller round version with a hinged cover that were both made by Diamond J or Johnson Manufacturing of Urbana Ohio. These had an "N&W" that was reversed embossed so that the letters stood upward out of the surface. Was this bucket a Roanoke Tin Shop product?

The pitcher could be for a lot of purposes, but, to me at least, looks like a pitcher for oil to be distributed or used in a machine shop for turning or threading oil- some task where a sloppy pour is more desirable than an accurate pour.

Adams wasn't known for railroad-purpose tinware like Johnson Mfg was. This could be for any number of purposes but was probably a shop item. What is notable is that it has no pouring spout.

Gary Rolih