Cylinder Valve

Thu Feb 16 18:13:27 EST 2012

I think your talking about the house valves. You open it when a locomotive is in the roundhouse
or shop to prevent steam building up in the cyls. and moving the locomotive accidentally do to leakage
in the throttle valve

Larry

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:31 AM
Subject: Cylinder Valve

Does anyone know what the valve located on the side of the cylinders on some locomotives is for? The valve handle is recessed in the side of the cylinder between the valve chest and cylinder. None of my Locomotive Cyclopedias show any info.