Whence the Name "KUMIS" ?

Wed Feb 22 15:15:47 EST 2012

A quick Internet search turned up 4 people with a surname of Kumis. Not
exactly common, but it is used. So I wouldn't discard that as a possible
source.

You could check the Census records for the relevant time period to see
if there were any Kumis family members living in the area. It was not
unusual to name places on the railroad after families who lived nearby.

Ed