Station names (was "Kumis" topic)

Sat Feb 25 02:09:19 EST 2012

Bob Cohen said: "I am sure the N&W and VGN had longer ones or similar sized names as Charlottesville. I thought Sou just referred to it usually by its' tower's call sign, "JC". Southern also had Barboursville, Alexandria, C&O had Gordonsville and the list goes on and on."

Station names in train orders were always completely spelled out, no matter how long they were. The telegraph/telephone call signs were not used for this purpose and station names were never abbreviated.

Incidentally, JC Interlocking at Charlottesville (where the C&O Mountain Sub-division and the Southern's Washington Division intersected) was a different station name than Charlottesville, the passenger and freight station. JC was the train order office, but it and the depot are two distinctly different locations even though they are less than one hundred feet apart. The same is true for Randolph Interlocking vis-a-vis Roanoke passenger station.

Best wishes,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com