Position Light signalling

Wed Mar 7 12:06:04 EST 2012

Some two masted signals supported on a single Y shaped post I though
indicated where a single road split into two routes, but on further study these
are positioned where no such split occurs. I also thought that signals were
sighted to the right (Engineer's side) but again not always does this hold
true, although those on cantilevered brackets seem to help in this way.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on these matters?
Rule 337 from N&W Rules & Regulation effective 11/18/1951 - "Signals are
located over or at the
right of the track they govern, unless otherwise provided." The "Y" shaped
post supporting the
two signal masts was identified as a bracket. As a rule, on the Shenandoah
and parts of the Radford
Division, the mast governing main track movement was taller than the mast
governing movement from
the leaving end of the siding. Where there are bracket signals governing
movement in either direction
on two main tracks, the brackets are of equal height . Where two main
tracks converge into one, the
bracket signal would be at the leaving end of the two main tracks, not at
the entering end.

I also see that the heads themselves usually only have lights for a
limited number of indications to suit each individual case, the remainder of
the positions having blanking plates.

Until about 1960, most aspects were displayed by three amber (yellow ?
whatever!) lights in various
positions (vertical, horizontal, or diagonal) on each signal target (a.k.a.
head). As color position
lights came into play, there was no need for the center light because
CPL's required but two lights
per head to conform to the signal aspect. The center hole was then
plugged with a plate.

Harry Bundy