What is the Official Nomenclature for this Old Style Railroad Crimp Ring Connector ?

Tue Apr 24 14:15:15 EDT 2012

Can any one tell me the official ("catalog") name of these old style "ring connectors" used in railroad signaling?

Notice how the strands of the conductor are split into halves, each half being laid into a groove around one side of the ring and brought out the far end, with a sealing crimp having then been given to spread the bottom inside of the ring over the the strands of the conductor to make the termination fast.

I've removed hundreds of these things from US&S relays.  They were apparently made up on wires of varying lengths intended to  lead from the relay terminals to the "backboard" terminals in the signal case or tower.  This pair is, to the best of my recollection, the only pair I have ever found inside a signal itself.  These came from an old N&W PL-1 lamp housing dating from the 1920s.  And I do not recall having found this style crimp ring on any signal equipment made by the General Railway Signal Co... but then I have not shopped and restored that many GRS items.  I have even seen these things covered with solder, as if they had been dipped into a pot of molten solder after having been crimped closed.

The PRR Standard Plans are encyclopedic, detailed and marvellously complete, and are a good index to when materials and practices came into the industry. The PRR Standard Plan approving the more modern (and still used) AMP-style crimp connector is dated 1955.

Anyone know the proper name and the history of these ring connectors?

-- abram burnett

<< PS to R.D.R. - Your job is to find me the patent and accompanying drawings covering this type ring connector !!! >>