N&W in 1912--Bluefield passenger trains

Mon Apr 30 07:21:12 EDT 2012

There is a lot of variability in the routes and schedules of Trains 9 and
10.

In 1905 Train 9 ran from Bluefield to Pageton on the Tug Fork Branch,
returning to Bluefield as Train 2 with the Pullman car from Gary. There was
no Train 10 in the time table for Pocahontas Div. Train 18 ran from Gary to
Bluefield. Same schedule in 1907.

In 1910 Trains 9 and 10 were the Bluefield to Gary to Bluefield service
along with Train 18

In 1911 Trains 9 and 10 were off the Tug Fork Branch and Bluefield to Gary
to Bluefield was serviced by Trains 17 and 18 as locals.

In 1917 Trains 9 and 10 were still running between Bluefield and Iaeger and
trains 17 and 18 were still providing Bluefield to Gary to Bluefield
service. (I didn't check train numbers beyond 1917)

Gary also had daily Pullman Service from and to New York via Trains 1 and 2,
although those train numbers also varied over the years.

NWHS's newest branch line book, "Tug Fork," has a section on passenger
service on the branch line. Daily Pullman service to/from New York made the
branch line somewhat unique for passenger service.

Alex Schust