VGN Passing track west of Merrimac

Tue May 22 19:44:57 EDT 2012

Hey, Bruce. Nashville's nice, but I miss the old Radford and Pokey. Trips
to Bluefield and the Rev. Nichols here in town help keep me grounded.

I seem to recall an unusual signal WB at Merrimac that would normally be an
automatic, but was control (?). After cutting off in the tunnel, the
pusher would get a light to start back down the hill or stop and get in the
hole at Shelby. I also recall a short siding at Pepper there on the fill
above the old Price's Fork Rd underpass. Guess that's gone, too.

John G. asked me about that "VGN" CF cab on Greasy Ridge and went looking,
but never found it. Any word on it?

Grant Carpenter

> Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:47:23 -0400

> Subject: Re: VGN Passing track west of Merrimac

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Grant wrote:

> > Has it been taken out? In addition to the rare WB move or work extra,

it

> > is or was used to get the returning Whitethorne pusher in the clear for

> > following EB.

> Hi, Grant. Hope you're doing well in Music City.

> The pusher pocket at Shelby may be the remnant of the full siding. It

still

> exists, a stub siding entered from the east for the pushers drop into,

like