virginian concrete ties

Thu Jun 14 20:54:55 EDT 2012

Walter, the main flaw of concrete ties is that you cannot gauge the track once the rails start to wear, you either transpose the rail or replace it. With wood, you simply pull the spikes, plug the holes, re-gauge the rail and spike it back down, as many times as needed. Concrete ties are heavier and can't be leveled and tamped as well as wood. The concrete ties crack under the weight of trains, and moisture during the winter freezes and busts the ties. Wooden ties last just as long, with less problems and more job security for me. And I have heard a lot of engineers state that concrete ties are a rough ride because they have little give. Gary Price