An Anvil Made from N&W Rail

Sat Jun 30 22:27:49 EDT 2012

Attached is a PDF file containing four photographs of an anvil made from rail.  The anvil was made for my father about 1947 or 1948, on (I think) the Shop Track at Shaffers Crossing.

I sent the photos and measurements to a rail expert for evaluation.  Even though the head of the rail has been milled off to give a flat surface,  he reported that the rail appears to be  80 or 85 pound rail of a section identified as "PRR."

So I have three questions:

(1) Has anyone seen another anvil of this sort made by the N&W?  (Wondering if they might have been a "standard issue" item.)

(2) Did the N&W ever use 80 pound rail?  (I never saw 80 pound rail.)

(3) When did the N&W begin installing 85 pound rail?

-- abram burnett