Thu Jul 12 06:36:35 EDT 2012

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with seven of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We signed a Happy Birthday card for
Harry Bundy. Harry was an Operator on the original Norfolk Southern at
Tidewater Junction, VA. He worked with the VGN Operators during the 1950s.
Harry is retired from Norfolk Southern Corporation as a Systems Engineer.
He will be 74 on Saturday.

Thanks for the response about last week's 4th verse of the National Anthem
from west coast Marine and Viet Nam Veteran, John. L. Hodson. John started
with the C&NW in 1965, and after Viet Nam served in their Engineering
Department. Later he was hired on the BN&SF and retired as Staff Assistant
to the Chief Engineer. Thank you John for your service to our country and
for being a part of the Virginian Nation. Also from last week, thanks for
Gordon Hamilton's comment about the extra red hour hand on the Hamilton
992B. He reported that this feature was also used in areas where rail lines
crossed time zones as well as Daylight Saving time observance.

Passed around were some photos taken during the big happening at Spencer
last week, where all 20 of the NS Heritage units were show-cased. Some are
now referring to this as the "Woodstock" event for rail fans. Norfolk
Southern is to be praised for putting on this once in a lifetime event.

Ken McLain talked about "Hobo Hot Boxes". He told of observing hobos on the
old VGN removing "oily waste" from the journal boxes on freight cars to use
to start their camp fires. This removed part of the lubrication of such
bearings, which resulted in overheating, thus causing "Hobo Hot Boxes".

For Show and Tell, I took my latest purchase: An NS set of 20 lapel pins,
one for each of the Heritage locomotives representing fallen flags of the
NS System. I feel confident these gift sets, in a very nice display case,
will be available soon at train shows and shops.

The Jewel from the Past is from March 9, 2006: "Jimmy Whittaker and Rufus
Wingfield remembered seeing Superintendent Hobert Scott, General Yardmaster
Mullens and Trainmaster Lyons, from the N&W, in the Yard Office at South
Yard the night of December 1, 1959. They were 'letting everyone know who
now runs the railroad'".

Last Saturday about 8 AM, at the Virginia Museum of Transportation, a small
group gathered beside NS SD70 ACe #1069 "VIRGINIAN" Heritage unit for a
photo. This picture will become a part of the history of our fallen flag.
Ten men who worked for the VGN posed with yours truly for a
"once-in-forever" shot. I have posted this picture on this site. Copies of
a similar shot will be placed in the Virginian Room (Roanoke's Other
Railway)at VMT, and one will have a prominent spot in the restored
Virginian Station in Roanoke. Also a large version of this photo, with some
of our "Takin' Twenty" Friends, will be posted in the Country Cookin'
Restaurant in Roanoke, were we have been meeting weekly since April 1, 2004.

Question: What device is on the new NS Heritage units, that holds something
similar to an item used on VGN coal hoppers in the old days from the
beginning, by Brakemen?

Jim Cosby sent this one: Two Nuns were shopping at a 7-11 store. As they
passed by the beer cooler, one Nun said to the other, "Wouldn't a nice cold
beer or two taste wonderful on a hot summer evening?" The second Nun
answered, "Indeed it would, Sister, but I would not feel comfortable buying
beer, since I am certain it would cause a scene at the checkout". "I can
handle that without a problem" the other Nun replied. The cashier had a
surprised look on his face when the two Nuns arrived with a six-pack of
beer. "We use beer for washing our hair" the Nun said. "Back at our
Nunnery, we call it Catholic Shampoo". Without blinking, the cashier
reached under the counter, pulled out a package of pretzel sticks, and
placed them in the bag with the beer. He then looked the Nun straight in
the eye, smiled, and said: "The curlers are on the house."

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

CDXXVIII