Big Stoney RR (Potts Valley Branch)

Fri Jul 13 20:52:26 EDT 2012

I found a small part of the Tri-State [Lumber Co.] incline over Potts Mountain incline on the 1932 USGS Topo, Waitville quadrangle.  It was enough to give me a starting point for the west slope of the incline.  Unfortunately the 1932 Topo survey did not include the western portion of Craig Co., Va, so there is no map of the east slope of the incline.

The west end of the Potts Mtn incline was approx 0.2 miles WSE of Waiteville, at Lat 34.4711 Long -80.8184.  The crest of the incline, atop Potts Mtn, was at about Lat 37.45867 Long -80.406474.  From the foot of the incline to the top of the mountain was a distance of approx 5878 feet, with an elevation disparity of about 712 feet.

The incline on the east slope of Potts Mountain is not distinguishable on the satellite imagery.

Still looking for the Big Shepherd Trestle.  None of the Topo quads between 1922 and the 1950s show any reference to a Big Shepherd Creek/whatever in this area.

-- abram burnett