Shenandoah Junction

Wed Jul 18 20:48:51 EDT 2012

Bob,

One more item concerning Shenandoah Jct. A good friend worked as a clerk on the Shen. Divn. from 1955-1958. He tells me that it was a "joint facility". B&O paid half of the salaries, but all personnel were N&W men. In the '50s there was generally an agent and clerk on duty around the clock. One interesting difference is that all the interchange cars were worked by a B&O car inspector.

Jeff Sanders

Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:37 AM
Subject: Shenandoah Junction

Thanks Harry and Ken and all for the information presented. Yes, I
knew and know how the the track is setup at Shenandoah Junction for
the former interchange between the B&O and N&W. Been there many times
and the concrete footprint for the depot is still plainly evident. The
curiosity issue still is when was the depot dismantled.

As for the connection -- that issue was discussed several years ago --
I remember the basics and it was concluded that there was never an
at-grade interchange or intersection between the two railroads, dating
back to when the SV railroad first came thru in 1880/1881. The
Shenandoah Valley would have desired it; the B&O basically said no is
what I remember and required the bridge. The milepost thing you
mention is interesting -- that was a detail I never knew and thank you
for sharing. It's amazing what one can learn here.

Bob Cohen

Shenandoah Junction questions

All:
Do we know both when the long-familiar Shenandoah Junction depot was
built and when it was dismantled? It had that familiar Shenandoah
Valley "cookie-cutter" type look to it, as I remember from the photos
have seen.

Bob:

N&W's 1919 annual report lists several passenger and freight stations
that were built or remodeled. Shenandoah Jct. is mentioned, but it
doesn't define the work accomplished. Maybe you know; maybe you don't,
but Shenandoah Jct. is NOT on the Roanoke-Hagerstown main line. A lead
veers to the east north of MP H-215 and drops down to the B&O level.
The distance from MP H-215 to MP H-217 is only 6,716 feet. There is no
MP H-216 on the main line, but there is one on the lead to the B&O, so
apparently the old main line went into Shenandoah Jct. and crossed the
B&O at grade at one time.

Harry Bundy