Heritage Units-Brake Stick Holder

Tue Jul 24 06:39:38 EDT 2012

On 7/23/2012 5:35 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> On 7/23/2012 5:12 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

>> >From a guy who models steam and does not keep up with the newest

>> equipment, what is a brake stick?

>> Kurt S. Kramke

> Yeah, what he said...

> Ed

From a guy who also models steam, but has to keep up with the newest
equipment for professional reasons..
A brake stick is a telescoping handle with a head resembling a very
small battle axe, designed to allow a hand brake wheel to be rotated
from the ground. The idea is to reduce or eliminate the need for
conductors to climb cars to apply or release hand brakes. Some
conductors love them, others do not. Personally, I have never cared for
them, as I find it easier and faster to climb the cars.

> Pray tell. What is an RCO--Remote Control Operator? Would an RCO

> accompany a remote control unit over the road? If so why?

> Gordon Hamilton

Yes, RCO stands for Remote Control Operator. They would not normally
operate over the road (yet, though it has happened, and it is a VERY
sore point with most engineers), but there are rules in place which
would allow a hybrid job where you could have people working as
conductors and engineers, or engineers alone, over the road, and then as
RCOs for switching at a yard or industry. Also, it seems to be the
carrier's strong desire to eliminate conductors from road trains, so if
they could have a combination engineer/RCO, one man could do everything
by himself - everything except stay awake, I suppose. Finally,
conductors also carry brake sticks - they are not specifically an RCO
tool. In fact, I think that all conductors on NS are supposed to have
and use them, although not all do.

Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman