High Bridge research

Tue Aug 28 23:37:36 EDT 2012

Just thought I'd touch base with you on some High Bridge research
that has come to light. In 1886, when the Fink trusses were
removed/modified to Pratt deck trusses using a falsework truss
system, the work was completed by Frederick H. Smith.

The Fink trusses removed were used at other places along the N&W
line. Apparently 7 or 8 spans were used at Big Otter Creek in Bedford
and a disaster occurred there (not sure of the date) with a collapse
and train wreck.

This resulted in a court case and apparently, in Smith's favor. (6 of
his workers were killed.)

Are any of you familiar with this bridge and wreck? Any pics?

I'm just excited to learn of High Bridge iron being recycled.

The engineer who put the Fink trusses in place in 1869 was C. Shaler Smith.

Bob Flippen
High Bridge Trail