Roanoke construction

Wed Sep 12 15:06:06 EDT 2012

That stairway was closed off many years ago, probably at the end of passenger
service in 1971 if not earlier. That underpass became rather unsafe for walking,
probably in the mid to late 1960s as downtown deteriorated, becoming home to
various muggers and pickpockets as well as a few drunks.

I remember walking through the underpass not long before they closed it off and
noticing a sign on the west wall opposite where the stairway came out on the
east wall, that was a directional sign for downtown one way and Hotel Roanoke
the other. That sign obviously had no purpose short of directing you coming off
the stairway, as it was flat against the wall, I'm surprised I had never even
noticed it before then.

Ken:
The Jefferson Street underpass became a problem also. Property Protection
posted a special agent there-- usually Joe Byrum from the VGN. The incident
I remember was when Karen Shriver from payroll had her purse snatched. Don't
think the culprit was ever found but he had guts. Karen stood about 6'6".
Harry Bundy