NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 87, Issue 10

Sun Oct 7 09:11:32 EDT 2012

Dave:

Winston, Virginia on the old Southern mainline north of Orange used to
have both a separate station as well as an assigned agent, but the
last of the assigned agencies was closed during the Depression era of
the 1930's.

I have seen the 1918 or thereabouts Valuation era photo but do not
have a copy, and am sure whatever there was of a depot was dismantled
a long, long time ago.

Every little town or 'burg, way back when used to have its own
station, they being located maybe every 5 miles or so when a 5-mile
trip in a wagon/horse & buggy was an all-day round-trip. As we all
well-know, those days changed as the roads improved and internal
combustion took over and one could travel dozens or hundreds of miles
in a day. We think nothing of getting in our cars and driving great
distances at a time, but there was time when it wasn't that easy --
even a hundred years ago.

If you really want to see a preserved older older station in the
region, drive thru Rapidan, the old town and you'll see some neat
stuff. The Culpeper depot has also been removed. The Rapidan station/s
are in their original location. What moved was the railroad when it
was straightened out and realigned thru there in the 1901-1904 period.
You might want to post your queries on the Southern Railway yahoo
group.

Enjoy and I hope I have helped you a little.

Bob Cohen