Work and Fall begin in Rural Retreat

Mon Oct 8 12:05:10 EDT 2012

Volunteers held a work session this weekend to clean up debris around the
depot as the leaves begin to turn. I was always told that "the summit"
just west of town was the highest point on the N&W, about 2750 ft. As a
steam train approached town you could tell which way it was headed by how
hard the engine was chugging, as westbounds were climbing and eastbounds
were cruising downhill. A long eastbound could still be pulling hard as it
approached town to get the last cars over the hump.

The depot is in fair shape structurally, as it was well-built with
substantial timber. The interior is fair but needing cleanup and paint
however. Question for the group: I recall PawPaw (J.L.Akers) tending to
the batteries, glass battery jars with crow's feet, but can't recall where
the batteries were housed. Seems to me they were in the 'luggage' area or
perhaps in a closet there? Was there a 'standard' place where the
batteries were kept? Also, what all did the batteries power--just the
telegraph or some of the signals?

Thanks

Frank Akers
www.ruralretreatdepot.org