End of Service for VGN EL-2B Streamliners

Mon Oct 8 21:39:26 EDT 2012

Sorry I can't answer all your inquiries about the EL2b's. I do have a note, of which I do not remember the source, that says the EL2b's were scrapped at the Peck Iron
& Metal Co. in south Richmond. Maybe this will jog someone's memory with the details.

Jeff Sanders

Sent: Friday, October 5, 2012 1:59 PM
Subject: End of Service for VGN EL-2B Streamliners

I've seen several accounts of the end of the EL-2Bs which say they were taken out of service and scrapped between 1959 and 1962.  The early date is clearly incorrect as McClure and Plant show several pictures in their book of these motors in service into at least Oct. 1960.  Can anyone clear up the history of the final days of the EL-2Bs?  When were they actually taken out of service?  Were they stored for a while before disposal?  Were they sent back to General Electric or were they scrapped by some local company?  If so, who, when and where?  Many thanks for your help.

Tom