Rebooting Steam

Tue Oct 9 10:37:07 EDT 2012

I seem to have missed or truncated (perhaps deleted too quickly?) the start of this thread.

I have posted here before now on the Tornado project in the UK. T

The latest on this modern steam locomotive is in the newsletter at http://www.a1steam.com/images/stories/various/tornado_telegraph/TTT35.pdf

The objective was to build and operate a Peppercorn class A1 Pacific steam locomotive in the modern era.

"The Trust has built a completely new 'A1' to the original design and with the
help of the latest technology. Fitted with additional water capacity and the latest railway safety electronics, Tornado is fully equipped for today’s main line railway."

I as one of over 2500 regular supporters have helped in some way to make this happen.

The engineering has not been without its challenges and problems ......... but is has and has been shown to work and work well.

The next project, P2, is covered in http://www.a1steam.com/images/stories/various/comcord/TCC27.pdf (and /tcc26) to undertake a feasibility study of building a new Class P2 2-8-2 steam locomotive. See also http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=699:design&catid=60:p2-project&Itemid=248

I'm sure the engineering team would be happy to discuss the basic physical and engineering fundamentals of the modern steam locomotive.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/3034685719/

The mp3 file attached is Tornado's whistle ......

I hope that helps, interests and informs :-)

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MITP MFITCE MIoF MRi FRSA

London UK

Policy - Strategy - Management
Fundraising - Business Development
On the web and on twitter @zorrodp
@CAMRAWestLondon

Many thanks to all who have supported WLaP 2012 - I raised £990 plus Gift Aid!

>Sent: Tuesday, 9 October 2012, 0:34

>Subject: Re: Rebooting Steam

>N&WHS:

>I have been a member of N&WHS for almost 10 years now and am known by several members.  As VP and Treasurer of Sustainable Rail International/ Coalition for Sustainable Rail and a member of this group I am available at jrhodes at csrail.org if you have any questions about what we are attempting or would like to get involved.  We are an R&D organization and not an excursion or restoration group.  We have some of the best and brightest in the industry involved along with several railroaders.

>Dave Phelps:

>I am glad you made it to the ASME/IEEE presentation.  If I may speak to a few of your statements below.  We didn't say we planned to make a steam locomotive with the same Drawbar Thermal Efficiency as current diesels.  We said we planned to make a steam locomotive with lower fuel cost than a current diesel in the same service, this is quite different along with other objectives.  Yes, I do understand microcreep and have for years.  I was caught off guard by the question since I had not put much thought into its application in this situation.  We are focusing on passenger rail only; passenger trains are not heavy by any stretch of the imagination and I don't think microcreep would be necessary but is worth investigation.  As to machinery speed, we are planning to use the Class J's 525 rpm as a precedent, but also plan a lower piston speed than the J as well.  The fuel, torrified biomass, could be made from plant stalks but current implementations

use wood.  We do not feel we have overlooked basic physical and engineering fundamentals.  I would suggest  you investigate Modern Steam, including Andre Chapelon of the SNCF and L.D. Porta of Argentina.  As stated earlier I welcome emails to those with more questions or who would like to get involved.