Long lens distortion

Tue Nov 20 10:09:38 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Mike wrote:

> Here are three photos to further illustrate the Glade track layout. 1218

> is dated June, 1989; the two 22A shots (looking east) are Mar, 2005 and

> Feb, 2010. I agree that the long lens effect made from the Rt 91 bridge

> probably exaggerates the curvature. I'm sure the track speed allowed of 45

> is probably plenty enough for the residents of Glade.

Dug out some track charts of varying vintages and the kink is shown between
Hillcrest Drive and Grace St. Heading toward Bristol, there is a 1-degree
curve to the right followed by a 1-degree curve to the left. Based on one
chart that shows there is 5,355 feet between MP 380 and MP 381, the span of
this kink is a little over 500 feet. That might be why is doesn't show up
on the Google satellite image, since the resolution may not get down to
that level. Bing does zoom in further and a close examination (look hard)
shows a very subtle bend in the track, but it is almost un-discernible. I
doubt that crews running through there even notice. But it does look neat
with the telephoto lens racked out to the max.

Bruce in Blacksburg