N&W Stations and Sidings question

Wed Nov 21 10:07:32 EST 2012

-.

My question is why does the Stations and Sidings not reference the track mileposts?? What was the intended use of these books?

- Roger Link

Roger:
Probably it's all in the computer's memory bank by now, but railroads are obligated to
reimburse the owners of private equipment (e.g. SHPX-UTLX-PGNX) on a mileage basis.
Think the rate takes into account age of equipment, original cost, etc. By recollection,
the railroad reimburses the owner for loaded miles only to prevent the car generating
revenue by moving it from its original loading point to one more distant. From memory,
a 200,000 lb. capacity stainless steel lined UTLX tank in the late 60's generated
$0.14/mile. Sometimes companies lease equipment from Union or SHPX and the
mileage refund goes toward reducing the monthly rent.

Think the Stations and Siding books was published by Car Accounting and actual miles
is probably the format they prefer since they are responsible for calculating "mileage"
due the owner. Maybe Car Accounting has concluded the railroad has more "short"
miles than "long" miles.

Incidentally, check the mileage between Farmville and Prospect shown in the S&S
book with mile post locations. Yea, I know, the line is gone now. Harry Bundy