Concrete Whistle Post

Sun Nov 25 15:59:59 EST 2012

I don't know when they were first used; however there is a drawing of the
concrete mile post in Tom Dressler and James Brewer's N & W Standards
Drawing book. The drawing is dated May 29, 1916 with revisions on September
30, 1926, January 19, 1961 and August 19, 1963. The 1963 revision states
that it provided luminous letters and numerals.

I hope this helps.

Skip Sledge

I'll post this question again, after about a five year interlude, there
having been no information having been developed from the last inquiry.
Perhaps by now the gene pool has developed to a higher order.

When did concrete mileposts come into use on the N&W, and of what
construction were the previous mileposts? Do any photographs or drawings of
the earlier mileposts exist?

-- abram burnett