N&W/Southern thru passenger service

Mon Nov 26 09:07:57 EST 2012

All the Southern trains running over the N&W were discontinued on Amtrak day, May 1, 1971. That being said, I believe the remains of the Birmingham Special continued for a while, but none of the Southern trains were on N&W rails. By the last year or so, those trains had been cut back on equipment extensively. If I recall correctly, the remains of what was once the Pelican, then renumbered to some other numbers, was discontinued in early August 1970. I remember going out to shoot it as it went west, very early in the morning, the photo is terrible, due to the early morning, and poor equipment, but I believe it was only a storage mail car and rider coach by then.

Ken Miller