N&W/Southern thru passenger service

Mon Nov 26 11:09:25 EST 2012

After N&W joined Amtrak, there were no passenger trains on N&W. Prior to that,
the Southern "through" trains had been reduced to one Bristol to Washington
round trip, and the N&W portion of that ended with Amtrak.

Jim Nichols

Sent: Mon, November 26, 2012 7:53:28 AM
Subject: N&W/Southern thru passenger service

Thanks for all the help!  Next question that hit me today was what happened to
the Southern's thru trains after N&W joined Amtrak in 1971?  I presume they kept
their Southern power.  But did they keep Southern crews or were N&W crews
switched as the trains changed railroads.  I would also take it that Southern
crews/porters manned the passenger cars.

Thanks in advance,
James Wall