Norfolk & Western Branch Line Series

Mon Dec 31 17:08:41 EST 2012

I think an explanation for the location of the original Twelve Pole main line between Naugatuck and Kenova lies in the availability in that territory of more on-line traffic, particularly timber, that was missing on the route that was later built along the Big Sandy. Somewhere I have read that the timber along the Big Sandy had been cut over and floated down the Big Sandy river long before the N&W built its Ohio Extension.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: Norfolk & Western Branch Line Series

The current main is not the original, although many of us cannot figure why they didn't go that way the first time, since it is "water level". The original main still exists from Kenova to Wayne, but The part from Wayne east was abandoned in the 1930's and is now a highway.

Jim Nichols

Sent: Sun, December 30, 2012 8:00:26 PM

Alex,

Thank you greatly for the info! I'm a sucker for the history of any branch line, operating or abandoned. I'm really looking forward to the Dry Fork Branch book, I've railfanned the Dry Fork several time and have always enjoyed it. I am also very interested in coal operations and branches that are down to Clinch Valley. I am also in the process of reading Mason's Pocahontas Division book, and need to order a copy of Billion dollar coalfield.

This brings me to a different question. Was there at one time a different track profile for the Mainline between Naugatuck and Kenova? I get the feeling that the current Main was built as more of a 'Belt line' or 'Low grade'.

Thanks in advance gang,

Nate

We expect to have Dry Fork Branch (Iaeger to Cedar Bluff) published in the winter of 2013. It will also cover Caretta Branch, Jacobs Fork Branch, Cucumber Branch, War Creek Spur and Beech Fork Branch.

Both Spice Creek and Clear Fork Branches are covered in “Billion Dollar Coalfield” available from the commissary. Spice Creek ran from Roderfield to Premier along what is now US Rt 52 ( about 4.5 miles in length). It was constructed in 1907 and operated into 1988. It served about 5 coal tipples. Clear Fork Branch went under construction in 1903 and the N&W took it over in 1904. By that time the right-of-way had been graded and most of the bridges had been built. The branch line served three tipples north of Coalwood, the Olga No. 1 shaft mine and the tipple at Six. All mines were opened by the Carter Coal Co. The tracks were removed in 1959.

We are considering a multiple Branch Line book that will cover Dans Branch, King Branch, Superior Branch, Twin Branch, Spice Creek, Clear Fork and Four Pole Spur. With the exception of Clear Fork and Spice Creek all of the other branches/spurs are short. This would complete all of the branch line sin McDowell County WV.

Branch line books are dependent on how much material we can find in the NWHS Archives. As an example for the Dry Fork Branch line book we were able to locate at the archives the original Iaeger & Southern accounts when the railroad was built by W.M. Ritter Lumber Company, the N&W construction accounts, multiple siding agreements and about 90 Field Note Books.

Alex Schust