Wakefield, VA train order office

Tue Jan 22 11:39:01 EST 2013

Frank,
Your picture of Wakefield triggered questions for the group.  I've attached a
couple of photo composites to illustrate the following.  The Wakefield
architecture is similar to Rural Retreat, of Italianate design:  low roof,
tower(s), ornate trim, rounded windows.  The early 1900's photos of both show
two changes that I am interested in.  First, both early depots had 2-story
towers (water?) that had disappeared by the 1940's.  Second, both depots show
the addition of city water toilet facilities that were 'tacked on' and didn't
bother to replicate the rounded windows.  Wakefield added their toilets where
the main entrance appears to have been, while Rural Retreat added its toilets to
the northeast corner.

Questions for the group:
1.  Is there a recorded history of changes the N&W made to its depots?
2.  Does the disappearance of water towers correspond to a changeover in
locomotive design or some other system-wide change?
3.  Was there a particular year or program when toilets were added?

It is significant to me that the N&W did a very professional (and expensive?)
makeover of its depots when it phased out the towers.

Thanks in advance,
Frank Akers
www.theruralretreatdepot.com

________________________________
Sent: Sun, January 20, 2013 2:12:12 PM
Subject: Wakefield, VA train order office

Good morning all:

Attached is a 1963 view at Wakefield.  Did the N&W replace train order blade
signals with color lights in later years?  Would anyone have an example photo of
the control box that was inside the station for changing the signal in each
direction?

Best wishes,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com