Fwd: help with train artifact

Tue Feb 5 08:47:27 EST 2013

Hello,

I am an exhibit designer working on the new permanent exhibit at the
History Museum of Western Virginia at the Center in the Square in Roanoke.
We recently borrowed a "mail hook" from the Virginia Transportation Museum
to use in a grouping of N&W tools. However, after doing some research, we
don't think that it is actually a mail hook but a part of a tool of some
kind. I was wondering if someone there (a train buff and/or historian)
could identify this tool for us and let us know what it was used for,
approximate date, and so on. I would be grateful for any help you could
give me.

Attaching images below. The tool is 36" in length.

Thanks,

Michelle Babyok
michelle at design3va.com

Moderator: