1957 NRHS Convention Scenes

Sat Mar 2 19:35:00 EST 2013

Very cool. Finally a photo of the G3 in 24" "N&W"!

http://www.railsinvirginia.com/images/abandoned/bluestone/57_nrhs_4.jpg

Unfortunately I can't make out the road number. There's gotta be a good side shot of one of these gons floating around.

Thanks for posting this!

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD

________________________________
Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2012 12:10 PM
Subject: 1957 NRHS Convention Scenes

Sorry to those who get this twice, but there is
information of interest to both sides of the house. A friend on another
railroad list posted this PowerPoint presentation back in January and I
just ran across it stashed in a corner of my hard drive. It is a series
of color photos taken at the 1957 NRHS Convention, which was held Labor
Day weekend in Roanoke. There are a number of photos of the display put
on by the Virginian that show steam, diesel, and electric power. There
are shots around the Roanoke passenger station, and shots from the
various excursions on that weekend -- Roanoke to Matoka, WV, and back
behind a VGN electric, Roanoke to Bluefield, and the trip up the
Blacksburg Branch behind M-class steam. I'm not sure of the origin of the
PowerPoint (I can track it down if desired) but I'm surprised it hasn't
shown up on these lists. Enjoy!

Bruce in Blacksburg

[Moderator note: Due to its size, the file has been placed on the
web site at
http://nwhs.org/qna/1957_NRHS_Convention.pps ]