N&W Boxcar pre-1963 paint scheme question

Sat Mar 9 20:03:48 EST 2013

I am not aware of any pre-1963 box car ever being black. But "never say never!"
However, I am reasonably sure that black would not be correct for a pre-1963
car.

Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Sat, March 9, 2013 5:45:34 PM
Subject: N&W Boxcar pre-1963 paint scheme question

The N&W had a paint scheme used on boxcars before the half-moon logo scheme.  It
was the pre-1963 scheme that had the Norfolk and Western roadname spelled out in
capital Roman style font lettering in white or silver, w/ N&W reporting marks &
car number on the other end in Roman font.  Some of the cars had silver doors
some did not.   My question is, were these cars ever BLACK, or were they only
the brown/boxcar red in this particular paint scheme?    I looked at a friend's
copy of the N&W Color Guide, and an example of this scheme in question is on
page 39 of a combo door 50' boxcar. In the pic, the boxcar looks almost black,
but I think it's actually dark brown, in a dark pic.  Did N&W ever paint boxcars
w/ that paint scheme in black?

Athearn made this exact car in HO but it is in BLACK, and I want to make sure
they were accurate on this- they tend to do a lot of wrong things in HO.

- Moderator (email question from non-mailing list person)