Operations along the Valley Line between Stuarts Draft and Hagerstown from 1979 and 1981

Tue Apr 2 13:56:22 EDT 2013

Thank you all for such great responses. I'm learning more and more from each one! Now that my first question has been cleared up, time for another. I have noticed in photographs through my research, that there seems to be a few auto racks scattered through out certain trains. Was there any TOFC as well?
-Brandon

Way before the time period you're interested in, there was a joint TOFC arrangement between PRR and
N&W. The service used existing train schedules between Bristol and Hagerstown. This was in the
era before 89' flats and steam still ruled on the Radford and Shenandoah Divisions -- so about 1957.
The service didn't exist very long -- according to an N&W acquaintance PRR made very little effort
to expedite the traffic. Harry Bundy