Glenvar Helpers and Elliston Helpers

Sun May 12 23:16:49 EDT 2013

Some years ago I posted to the list a question about Glenvar and Elliston helpers. There was no response at that time, so I'll re-post the question.

Tom Kegley, a 1906 hire Radford Division Engineman told me that when he hired helpers were stationed at both Glenvar and Elliston. The normal procedure was for the Glenvar helper to assist westward trains as far as Elliston, then cut off and return to Glenvar. At Elliston, the Elliston helper(s) would couple on and assist westward trains to Christiansburg.

Bill Harman gave an additional piece of information that may come into play here. His father told him that, in the 1880s, engines were serviced at Salem. I'm wondering if these might have been the Glenvar helper engines.

Has anyone found any information that might elucidate these matters?

-- abram burnett