Glenvar Helpers and Elliston Helpers

Mon May 13 13:16:58 EDT 2013

The only information that I can add would be a old company drawing I saw many years ago, but was not able to acquire a copy of, showing Salem, and the area around the (Present) passenger station, and west to the original station. I don't recall this drawing being highly detailed, or a date on it specifically. But the area just west of the bridge, now occupied by a concrete plant was designated as a "wood yard" of which I can only interpret as a service area, it seems there was a siding into it as well. In addition, east of there about a half mile were water tanks. I vaguely recall asking my father about it because it seemed sort of out of place and he said it was occasionally used, but had originally been built for pushers. That must have been something he had been told, as he was a 1947 hire.

Now it seems kind of odd to be separated from the wood yard by that far, but I do not have an answer to that. You can still see the concrete pilings for the water tank on the embankment there.

Ken Miller