Jean Stapleton

Sun Jun 2 21:55:55 EDT 2013

Jean retained her interest in railroading and purchased and saved a small
Cumberland Valley Railroad station which is today preserved at Norlo Park in
Chambersburg PA, (just off Rt.30 east).

Mason Cooper

Sent: Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:09 AM
To: 3N&W Mailing List
Subject: Jean Stapleton

Yesterday and today the news media have been replete with the news of the
death of actress Jean Stapleton at 90 years of age(for instance today's
Roanoke Times devoted two page-length columns to her obit). She is best
known for her role as Edith (Dingbat) Bunker opposite Carroll O'Conner in
the award winning, long running TV show "All in the Family." Unlike her
role as Edith, she was reputed to be quite intellectual and devoid of
Edith's high pitch voice.

What is less well known is that Stapleton worked for the Norfolk and Western
Railway. I do not have the documentation in front of me, but my
recollection is that it was the Norfolk and Western Magazine, probably in
the 1970's, that had an article pointing out that Stapleton had been a
secretary in the N&W's New York City sales office before her acting career
took off.

Gordon Hamilton