Bridge out of Clare Yard- T51 schedule

Mon Jun 3 12:26:11 EDT 2013

Yep. And the line is blocked at MP 8 with the railroad ties as before. NS
will not be going up into Hyde Park anymore as this section of the old
mainline is up for abandonment. Don't know how far along the process is but
the abandonment papers have been filed over a year ago.

"They" have been sandblasting and painting the US 50 bridge over the NS and
Sorta/I&O tracks since last fall. They are painting the N&W bridge is
because this was put in by the state when Columbia Parkway was extended into
Fairfax in the early 1960's. Previously the N&W RoW was a dirt fill to the
bridge over Big Duck Creek (bridge 2083).

Just FYI, T51 local shifts Clare now and not TQ07 which was abolished. T51
signs on duty at 1100 hrs and comes to Clare on Monday's to drop off cars
and do a little switching (maybe). Then they come down on Wednesday,
sometimes with cars, to perform more switching and move eastward towards
Peebles. Usually after a long afternoon and evening of switching , T51 will
go east around 1800-1900hrs. They frequently 'dog' at Mt Zion Siding/Reed
Road and taxi back to Sharon Yard. Thursday they go out to the train, go to
Peebles and do their work. They will normally make it back to Clare around
1900hrs and dog. On Friday, a dog catcher will come out, work the yard, and
take the loads and empties back to Sharon Yard. Loads out of Peebles are
newly cut rr ties loaded at the old Peebles team track. Grain mtys and
loads sometimes come in and out of the granary at Winchester. I haven't
seen a load in or out of Southwestern Fabricators or the Afton Plastic
Machinery shop for years. Sidings are still in, though.

The best way to monitor the T51 action is by listening to T51 on the I&O
dispatching channel (St. Albans) on 161.385 then on 160.440 Chicago
Dispatcher on NS. I&O has to move around a number of their trains so T51
can be slow in getting down to Clare from Sharon Yard. Once T51 is
switching, they use 160.440, but the Clare radio base hasn't been used since
2003, so the signals don't go very far for scanners to pick up.

Usually, T51 uses a Dash 40 but an odd SD40 can be used or SD70m or two
GP38's or some odd pair combination. They had an SD60E one day last
February.

Gary Rolih