"Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren" by Skip Salmon

Thu Jun 6 11:14:51 EDT 2013

As I recall, the "rabbit test" was a pregnancy test, and I think "the rabbit
died" meant you were pregnant.

Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Thu, June 6, 2013 7:15:37 AM
Subject: "Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren" by Skip Salmon

Last night on the 69th Eve of D-Day, I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with
seven of the Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway.
The Brethren were kind of quiet last night but perked up when I showed them a
photo of one of Norfolk Southern's latest bill board ads. It shows the feet of a
body on a morgue slab with a toe tag that reads "I raced a train and all I got
was this lousy toe tag".

We also discussed the passing of Jean Stapleton, who played Edith Bunker on the
"All in the Family" TV show. Several recalled "Dingbat" stories but did not know
that Jean, before her acting career, worked for the Norfolk and Western Railway,
as a Secretary in the New York City sales office. She is also known for her
promoting the preservation of a passenger station near her home town. Most
agreed that our dearly departed Yardmaster, Rufus Wingfield, reminded them the
most of crusty "Archie Bunker", Edith's husband on the show.

>From last week, Dr. Gibson Davis told us about his career as an OBY GYN

Physician at Roanoke Memorial and Carilion Hospitals. I asked him how many
babies did he deliver..."Many hundreds" was his reply. "Did you deliver anyone
famous"? "I did bring into the world Don Blocker's brother." For those of you
who are under 40, Dan Blocker played "Hoss" Cartwright on the TV show Bonanza.
Also Dr. Davis told us about the many rabbit cages that were kept in the
ambulance bay in the old Lewis Gale Hospital in downtown Roanoke. These rabbits
were used in a special test that sometimes required one to say
"Congratulations,the rabbit died". Anyone out there know which test these
rabbits took part in?

Passed around for the Brethren to peruse was the July "Trains" magazine. Pages
54 and 55 has a neat article "How cool is your railroad?". It compares the
"coolness" of the 7 class one lines, and left out Amtrak... For Norfolk
Southern: Wick Moorman, top executive, is the "Tom Hanks of CEOs and has
everyman charisma". "Possibly the deadest downtown of any railroad HQ city is
Norfolk". The article praises the colorful NS Heritage units, NS steam program
and rock band "The Lawmen", and states "we love the 'toy box' TV ad"!

Monday in the "Roanoke Times" 100 years ago feature "Probably twelve thousand
people witnessed the performance of Buffalo Bill and Pawnee Bill's Wild West
show yesterday afternoon". (At Maher Field across Naval Reserve Ave from the
Virginian Roundhouse) "Those who came to town to see Buffalo Bill and his Wild
West contingent evidently absorbed a good portion of the spirit of the Bad Lands
as well as an abundance of the spirits dispensed in wet goods emporiums of the
city". This was three years BEFORE the same show left town on the VGN only to
wreck near Abilene.

The Jewel from the Past is from March 29, 2007: "I passed around a letter to the
editor I wrote. The "Roanoke Times" ran an article last Sunday bout Roanoke's
125th anniversary showing history of the valley. Not once was the Virginian
Railway mentioned. I told them this was like 'going to a family reunion and
leaving one of your kids at home by them self'.

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

CDLXXIV