Switch List branch operations questions?

Fri Jun 21 11:21:40 EDT 2013

-

One of the reasons for my inquiry and my research is that I have an O Scale model N&W 4-8-0 and plan to build a generic rural small town shelf layout to switch with it and I am interested in the customer base, cars and structures that would be appropriate. (1930s to 1950s)

I've seen many pictures of the Abingdon branch and have always wondered who the customers were. I know very little about the blacksburg branch other than it was originally built to mine the anthracite coal from mines at Merrimac.

I am tempted to build a generic feedmill and a station with a team track but would rather know more about the customer base and build something feasibly N&W.

Tom:
Late one fall afternoon, I was called from West Jefferson and asked to expedite a document from
Roanoke to the Ashe County Court House for abandonment proceedings to be held the next day.
That meant I drove a company automobile, stayed at a motel, and attended part of the hearings.
At that time, N&W presented documentation that it was handling only seven cars per week
on the Branch, which was served only on Wednesdays. The most prominent shipper overhauled
generators, so I can't tell you this business was there 1930-1950. There was one type of
traffic you could count on 1930-1950 --- L C L. That's less-than-carload freight, usually shipped
in company-owned box cars. Contents were maybe Sears mattresses or a keg of vinegar for
a local pickle factory, but not items usually carried by Railway Express (fresh fruit in cartons from
Florida). Another was coal -- the NC Public School system usually heated with coal, so the
Ashe County schools probably spotted cars at West Jefferson for distribution. Harry Bundy