A Signal Question for Ben et.al.

Mon Jun 24 05:38:54 EDT 2013

Jimmy,
I worked the Shenandoah line a few years ago as a relief maintainer,
but all the old stuff was gone before I got there. But, I know where
you are talking about, and I'm aware of that type of situation. The
Bristol line also had several staggered automatics. Basically, it
would depend on how the engineers drew up the signal circuits. While
I'm not certain, I would expect that once the head end of the train
passed the opposing staggered signal and knocked down the next track
circuit to the south, then the signal would have dropped to
restricting. The ones I witnessed in action on the Bristol line would
drop shortly after the head end passed the governing signal,
regardless of whether they were staggered or not. I can't really
answer why that particular one signal didn't drop. I would have
expected it to.

If I saw that happen today, I'd be calling the maintainer!

Ben