A Signal Question for Ben et.al.

Tue Jun 25 05:46:13 EDT 2013

Harry,
We do not have insulated joints beyond the signal anymore except for
the shunt fouling circuit in a switch, or at the opposing signal. I
guess welded rail took care of that, as you suggested.

Also, John Marbury brings up a good point, and that was what I was
suggesting. The Southern Ry. is quite different in its signal
equipment, and their rules are still different to this day. And,
after having rode many an excursion on SR territory, I have noticed
that their older signals behave differently than ours do. Many of the
older ones downgrade from green, to yellow, to red. Ours drop
straight to red, or at least all the ones I have ever tested do.

But, changes are coming folks! Petersburg-Norfolk, and Roanoke are
just the beginning...

Ben
signalman/signal maintainer