Y Class, Etc

Sat Jun 29 20:35:38 EDT 2013

Sitting at the bottom end of the Bristol Line let me observe the 2100s come
in after having been wrung out on some fast track. General Foreman Jesse
Hahn told me he'd ridden a Y-6 down through Atkins at 62 MPH. Engineer Roy
Harrell was seen passing the Pet Milk plant west of Abingdon with a brand
new 2200 (its first trip after its break-in on the Blue Ridge pusher) and
witnesses said the rods were invisible - just a gray blur. Harrell told me
the GE speedometer read 70 MPH. Frank Collins told Bud Jeffries he'd had
Y-6s over 60 but they were shaking everything that could shake.

When you consider the comparatively small drivers and the weight of the
parts necessary to transmit that tremendous power, the 2100 was even a more
remarkable machine than once thought. N&W's Mechanical Engineers, the K-3
notwithstanding, knew how to do counterbalancing. That a J could ride
smoothly at 500+ driving wheel RPM and a 2100 could hold together at the
speeds they ran (and we'll probably never know how fast that was, or the J
either) was all the evidence needed to prove the ability of those guys
working on the third floor of the MP Building.

The engineers showed them no mercy; Louis Newton told me that the north end
of the Shenandoah Division and the Bristol Line were the toughest places for
those engines to live, but live they did.

The only failures I saw the summer I worked at Bristol Shop were the result
of engineers (one, specifically) not drifting the engine properly. Those
who did had little or no trouble.

As far as tonnage is concerned, nobody knows how much an A would pull on the
Kenova District, either. The cars weren't weighed until they went over the
hump at Portsmouth. In diesel days I came out of Williamson with a GP18 and
three Alcos and 254 loads. They said it was 24,785 tons, but they didn't
really know. The speedometer hit 20 MPH for the first time passing Kermit,
19 miles out.

Ed King