Heat Effects on Rail

Fri Jul 19 11:09:33 EDT 2013

There's some technical detail from VRE http://www.vre.org/feedback/frequently_asked_questions/faq_heat_orders.htm

In the UK with 'record' temperatures of c 30C and more for over a week ... and likely to continue, Network Rail has certainly experienced problems: they were struggling to cope with track surface temperatures approaching 50 degrees Celsius. Trains were limited to 20 miles an hour, with many services delayed, cancelled or altered out of London Waterloo.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-07-05/public-transport-surviving-the-heat/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/rail-bosses-tell-scotlands-train-2041631

>From 3 years ago:

"Network Rail stresses that the UK's rail system is already robust, and has been "future-proofed" to cope with current weather conditions. After an earlier programme to investigate flood risks, the company is spending £160m on improving drainage systems and has been fitting higher-standard rails able to cope with warmer temperatures."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/01/network-rail-study-climate-change

And for the really keen enthusiast:

Rail Temperature Study

http://www.rssb.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/reports/research/T359c_rpt_final.pdf

Dominic
London UK

I walked 12 miles for the Pirate Castle for the 4th time on June 22nd - please help bysponsoring me