Signal safari (NW Mailing List)

Fri Aug 2 12:03:47 EDT 2013

Ed,

While the available aspects of the light positions may technically
allow it to show a 'Stop (and Proceed)', I don't beleive it will
ever actually display that aspect unless both botton bulbs are out.

The signal has a plate with milepost "361.9" on it. It governs
westward movements on the Virginia (Radford) Division Pull In track
in Bluefield Yard between the west end of the wye and the car repair
shop. There is no matching signal for eastward movements.

I have seen that signal continue to display a Restricting indication
even while a train is stretched past it on the Pull-In track. It also
continues to display a Restricting indication while an eastbound train
passes the signal on the Pull In track.

Considering that I think the change between yard limit and CTC rules
occurs at RD for the Pull-In track, I'm not sure what actual purpose
that signal serves. My best guess is that when combined with a second
westwad only automatic signal between 361.9 and RD, it allows westwards
trains room to maintain non-restricted speed until their rear clears
the switches at RD.

Any thoughts from our Signal Maintainer members?

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA
http://www.krunk.org