Signals: What I don't know . . .

Mon Aug 5 14:58:24 EDT 2013

I'm building signals for my layout, N&W is one of them.

I believe they would place signals logistically in the right locations.
Its important to know what train may be ahead of your train in case of
stoppage, brake failure, broken knuckle, which happens on grades.
If theres a circumstance you would recieve train orders that would
circumvent a signal aspect.
Say a signal is supposed to be absolute stop the orders would tell you
you may stop and proceed(slow and proceed).
Other signals may be designated stop and proceed or indication or have
a specific light on/off to indicate stop and proceed.

Signals tho they can indicate block occupancy, they say more what speed
the train should run, thats true for advance signals having 2 or more
heads, or like N&W the one head and additional lights.

A signal's designation is based on its location and what it protects and
how to do it.

-Lynn-