More on signal "roolz"

Fri Aug 16 22:14:52 EDT 2013

Trains were superior to each other by right, class or direction. Right was conferred by train order. Class and direction were conferred by the operating timetable. The N&W Book of Rules stated that unless otherwise provided, eastward or northward trains were superior to west or southward trains.

The predominate direction of loaded coal traffic on N&W depended upon where you were. If you were Bluefield and east of there, the loaded coal traffic was mainly eastbound. If you were at Williamson or west, it was westbound. If you were at Iaeger, you would see loaded coal trains pass in both directions, and the same with empties. Eastbound coal off the Buchanan Branch went past Iaeger, and westbound coal off the Tug Fork Branch too; coal off the Dry Fork Branch at Iaeger went in both directions. That fact alone would make Iaeger a fun place to model. You could run coal and empty trains in both directions, and when other modelers wondered what was going on you could let them know.

Coal traffic on the Virginian was mainly eastbound; I think the westbound loads interchanged at Deepwater and other places like Gilbert didn’t amount to very much. One did, however, see the occasional lake-bound VGN G-4 gon (the big guys) in westbound coal trains out of Portsmouth.

EdKing