Control points, controlled signals and intermediate signals

Mon Aug 19 10:37:41 EDT 2013

After reading back through the recent posts on signals I think I'm
beginning to get a feel for the terminology, but would like to verify my
assumptions and ask some questions. It seems like a control point might be
a section of track where there is a controlled signal and that a controlled
signal might be one whose aspect is determined by a controller when he sets
up a route. How do these terms relate to interlocking. My impression of
interlocking is a section of track where two or more routes are possible
and equipment is in place (signals, derails etc.) prevent collisions. So
is there a relationship between the terms "control point" and
"interlocking"? Is the term interlocking still used? I think it was
stated that intermediate signals are those between control points. Does
this designation include anything besides automatic block signals?
Jim Cochran