NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 98, Issue 49

Mon Aug 19 17:20:46 EDT 2013

Someone can correct me but a Control point may be any point that affects
the aspect of a signal.

An interlocking tower may be a control point, interlocking is the method
of logic that allows or dissallows switch/signal setups for a safe
aspect display, I.E. the levers connected to a series of moveable bars
that have notches and stops and other devices attached to it to set up
the logic of the signals and switches.

The other control point is the track itself if occupied by a train. and
knocks a signal red.

Today a lot of the signal control is moved to central locations using
computers, and yes you can still call it interlocking, but its done in
the computer.

Intermediate signals say a passing siding will have signals at the
turnouts, in between the main/pass if there is sufficient track
room/train room if 2 or more trains may be expected or by specific
design, you could have intermediate signals that could act like normal
block signals or advance.

For a simple turnout the interlocking could done electrically at the
turnout with relays, the dispatcher simply aligns it and the aspect
shows accordingly. The dispatcher may still have signal control to
direct traffic movement as needed.

-Lynn-